Search

Jakarta attack : Bali security beefed up

Share This Post:

Security across Bali has been increased after a threatening letter was sent to a government office less than a week after the deadly terror attack in Jakarta.

The letter was sent to Buleleng in Bali’s north and warned the holiday island could be the next target, threatening attacks in Denpasar and Singaraja.

Indonesian police said while the letter could be a hoax, authorities needed to stay alert at all times.

A police spokesman said security had been increased at airports, entertainment centres and government offices.

SWAT teams have been sent to tourist hotspots and security has also been beefed up at foreign consulates.

The Islamic State (IS) terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack in central Jakarta last Thursday.

Indonesian authorities have also blamed the attack of an IS faction made up of Malay-speaking Indonesians and Malaysians.

The gun and bomb assault claimed eight lives, including four civilians.

One of the bombs was detonated at a Starbucks near the United Nations building.

See also  125,799 Passengers & 47 Thousand Vehicles Entered Bali Via Gilimanuk for Christmas Holiday 2023

Meanwhile Indonesian President Joko Widodo has said he is considering regulations that would stop those who head overseas to join extremist groups from returning home.

The current laws allow citizens who have been training or fighting with organisations such as IS to return home without punishment or detention.

Authorities believe around 500 Indonesians have travelled to the Middle East to join IS, and around 100 of them have since returned.

JAKARTA ATTACK IMAGE GALLERY

Source :Abc.net

BREAKING NEWS | HEADLINE NEWS | NEWS | DAILY NEWS | WEEKLY NEWS

WORLD NEWS | INDONESIA NEWS | BALI NEWS

Tags

Related Posts

Must Not Missed!

Events in Bali

Get The Latest Updates

Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter

No spam, notifications only about new updates.

  • No comments yet.
  • Add a comment